Bertha Centre Scholarship 2016 for MBA or Mphil Courses in South Africa
Applications are invited for Bertha Centre Scholarship for pursuing MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These scholarships are open to African students.
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership, the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
Applicant must be fluent in English. Applicants whose mother tongue is not English will be required to produce a TOEFL certificate to verify fluency in English.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing MBA or MPhil programme at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Subjects Offered: The Bertha Scholarships are open to candidates in any field where they have been exploring social and/or environmental impact through innovative approaches.
Scholarship Award: The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs of a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility: Applicants can apply
- If they are an African citizen (or a South African permanent resident for at least one year.)
(a) Started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social or economic change; or
(b) If they have worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation for at least one year.
- Experience in these fields would be preferable, as well as a track record of action exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors.
- If they can demonstrate strong leadership qualities within their field.
- Finally, they must demonstrate some level of financial need for the scholarship.
Nationality: African citizens can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must first be eligible, comply with and apply for the MBA or MPhil programmes entrance requirements at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Applicant must be fluent in English. Applicants whose mother tongue is not English will be required to produce a TOEFL certificate to verify fluency in English.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit the Bertha Centre Scholarship Application Form which should include:
- UCT application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Contact details and CV uploaded
- Answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in their career will help to accelerate impact in their area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Short [no longer than four minutes] video.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 31 October 2016.