The University of Essex is offering Social Sciences Scholarships for UK, EU and international full-time students. These scholarships are available for pursuing full-time PhD, Integrated PhD or Professional Doctorate, starting in October 2017-2018.
The University of Essex is a public research university in Colchester, Essex, England. It was established in 1963 and received its Royal Charter in 1965.
The most common tests for language proficiency are IELTS and TOEFL iBT. However, University also accepts some other English language test scores such as Pearson and Cambridge certificates and may accept school qualification.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing full-time PhD, Integrated PhD or Professional Doctorate programme (not MPhil, Doctor of Medicine, Masters by Dissertation, 1+3 Doctorate or full-time Professional Doctorate).
Available Subject: Scholarships are awarded within the departments of Economics, Essex Business School, Government, Language and Linguistics and Sociology.
Scholarship Benefits: The award consists of a full Home/EU fee waiver or equivalent fee discount for overseas students (this amount was £4,120 in 2016-17), a doctoral stipend equivalent to the Research Councils UK National Minimum Doctoral Stipend (£14,296 in 2016-17), plus a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio funding, which may be used to ‘buy’ advanced skills training.
- This award is available to UK, EU and international full-time PhD students;
- Successful international applicants will need to fund the balance of the tuition fees;
- Students must hold an offer from the University of Essex for a PhD, Integrated PhD or fulltime Professional Doctorate (not MPhil, Doctor of Medicine, Masters by Dissertation, 1+3 Doctorate or full-time Professional Doctorate);
- Receipt of the scholarships is subject to applicants firmly accepting the offer of study, registering as students of the University of Essex for the 2017-18 academic year, and meeting all conditions of our offer;
- No alternative form of the scholarship is available and the award cannot be deferred to a later year from the one for which you are admitted;
- Successful applicants on an Integrated PhD course will have to fund their first year;
- Applicants may only receive one award administered by the University of Essex. In the event that an applicant is already in receipt of another University award (including fee discounts such as the Alumni Loyalty Discount), the larger of the two awards will be kept and the other released;
- Where a student applies for and is awarded a scholarship and subsequently obtains
- full external funding, the University will rescind the scholarship offer. Where partial external funding is obtained, the department may choose to continue, reduce or rescind the scholarship offer as it sees fit.
Nationality: Scholarships are available to UK, EU and international full-time PhD students.
Entrance Requirement: Students must have a degree from a recognized UK university other than Essex with First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
English Language Requirement: The most common tests for language proficiency are IELTS and TOEFL iBT. However, University also accepts some other English language test scores such as Pearson and Cambridge certificates and may accept school qualification.
How to Apply:
If you’ve applied for a full-time SeNSS studentship starting in 2017-18, you’ll automatically be considered for Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship and don’t need to complete a separate application form. However, you’re advised to read the terms and conditions of these awards and which departments are offering them.
University of Essex Doctoral scholarships don’t cover SeNSS 1+3 applications, but you’ll be considered for an Integrated PhD course if there is one appropriate for your studies. All successful Integrated PhD applicants would have to fund their first year.
If you haven’t applied for SeNSS funding
You need to apply for admission to the University via online postgraduate application form. If you haven’t applied for SeNSS funding, you should complete the University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship Application Form online via MyEssex portal. This will become available to you once you have received an official offer of admission for a relevant course from the Graduate Admissions Office.
Deadline: The application deadline is February 12, 2017.