Aberystwyth University’s AberDoc PhD Scholarship Scheme is open for . The scholarship allows PhD level programm(s) in the field of taught at . The deadline of the scholarship is .
Aberystwyth University’s AberDoc PhD Scholarship Scheme
The Aberystwyth University offers a package of research and training for full-time PhD students. These prestigious AberDoc scholarships are now open to UK/EU and Non-EU students who wish to study for a full-time PhD commencing in September 2017.
These awards aim to develop the necessary skills required to meet applicant’s career choices and offer a breadth of development opportunities to enhance their research, teaching and transferable skills.
University mission is to facilitate growth and development, and to challenge boundaries, helping students and staff to contribute to human Endeavour by unlocking their own talents. It seeks to nurture ability in all areas, share best practice, and remove institutional barriers to achievement.
International and EU applicants will need to show evidence of a sufficient knowledge of English. This must be proved before the applicant begins their course. If they have not achieved the required level before sending their application, their formal offer for postgraduate study will include a condition stating that they need to achieve this level before the start of their course. If they do not reach the required level of proficiency, it will not be possible to admit them onto the course.
- Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
- Scholarships are awarded in following departments:
List of Subjects: Art; Biological; Environmental & Rural Sciences (inc. Sport & Exercise Science); Computer Science; Education & Lifelong Learning; English Literature & Creative Writing; Geography & Earth Sciences; History & Welsh History; Information Studies; International Politics; Law & Criminology; Management & Business; Mathematics; Modern Languages; Physics; Psychology; Theatre, Film & Television Studies; Welsh & Celtic Studies.
Scholarship Award: Scholarship awards:
- Successful candidates will receive a grant for up to three years which will cover their tuition fees (up to the UK/EU rate of £4,121)** and also provide them with a maintenance allowance of approximately £14,296 per annum** and access to a travel and conference fund (max. £500 per annum). Scholarships commence from the main intake: September 2017.
- Non-EU students would have to cover the difference between UK/EU tuition fees and the non-EU tuition fees (approx. £8,198 to £8,448) from their scholarship. However, there will be 3 additional President’s Scholarships, which cover this difference in tuition fees. These will be awarded to the three highest ranked non-EU candidates for the AberDoc competition.
- All doctoral research students are able to undertake to teach and would be provided with an HR contract to enable this to happen easily, and will be recorded as staff members for this purpose. Payment will be according to the rate for hourly teaching staff. Other opportunities for paid work may also be available, such as research support, marking, student recruitment and support activities.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible you must:
- Have or expect to obtain at least upper second class honours in your first degree
- Apply and be offered a place for doctoral study at Aberystwyth
- Achievement of 7.0 in IELTS, or equivalent, as the normal case, for non-UK students (before the end of March 2017 at the latest)
- Be commencing your doctoral study in September 2017 (current AU PhD students may be considered see point 3 of regulations below)
Eligible Nationalities: UK/EU and Non-EU applicants are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirement: To be eligible applicants must have or expect to obtain at least upper second class honours in their first degree.
English Language Requirement: International and EU applicants will need to show evidence of a sufficient knowledge of English. This must be proved before the applicant begins their course. If they have not achieved the required level before sending their application, their formal offer for postgraduate study will include a condition stating that they need to achieve this level before the start of their course. If they do not reach the required level of proficiency, it will not be possible to admit them onto the course.
Test Requirement: IELTS & TOEFL tests accepted by Aberystwyth University for Postgraduate Study.
Application Procedure: Applicants can apply both using online application mode and also offline by post or via e-mail.
The application to study for a PhD must be received by the relevant closing date. Applications must include an application form, two academic references, academic transcripts and a research proposal (1000 to 1500 words). No other forms are required. We encourage applicants to contact the relevant academic department before constructing their research proposal. This is the first selection stage. For 2017, the supplementary AberDoc Application Form should only be completed by candidates whom departments wish to nominate for the selection by their respective academic Institute and subsequently to the AberDoc Panel (via the PG Admissions Office).
Deadline: The University’s general deadline for the 2017 competition is March 1, 2017.
N.B. Please note that the deadline for the Departments of Geography & Earth Sciences, International Politics, History & Welsh History, Psychology and Theatre, Film & Television Studies is 27th January 2017.