A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship, Singapore 2016 is open for . The scholarship allows level programm(s) in the field of taught at . The deadline of the scholarship is .
A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship, Singapore 2016
Applications are invited for A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship for the year 2016. This scholarship is open to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship for pursuing degree programme in Science or Engineering.The AUS scholarship is a research-based scholarship aimed at training scientists. This scholarship does not carry a service commitment period but scholars are obligated to go on to PhD studies.A*STAR is making a significant investment in each scholar and the aim is for every scholar to come back and be part of Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise ecosystem. They will need to commence their PhD studies within 18 months from the completion of their undergraduate degree.
English is the official language for instruction in Singapore and proving competence in the language might be necessary.
Degree Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing undergraduate degree programme.
Subject Offered: Scholarship is awarded in the field of science or engineering.
Participating Institution(s): Singapore
Eligibility: Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Open to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship.
- Males are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies.
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent
- Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions where they can pursue their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities
(i) Applicants with ‘A’ Levels/ IB/ NUSHS Diploma/Polytechnic Diploma:
- For candidates on GCE ‘A’ Level syllabus
- Candidates must offer 11 units or more
- Attained As in three H2 Science or Mathematics subjects
- Demonstrated achievement beyond the above, such as in research or a relevant H3 subject should be highlighted.
- Those without relevant H3 subjects must have as in four H2 Science and Mathematics subjects.
- For candidates on International Baccalaureate (IB) syllabus
- Obtained at least 39 points including 6,7,7 in higher level for Science and Mathematics subjects(exception will be made if candidate took Further Mathematics)
- Attained at least 1 bonus point for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge
- For candidates from NUS High School of Mathematics and Science
- Attained subject CAP of 3.60 and above, majoring in at least 3 of the following subjects:
- Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (one of which must be with Honours)
- Excellent in Advanced Research Project
- For candidates from Polytechnic
- Excellent academic results, at least a diploma with merit.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for science-related projects/activities.
(ii) Applicants in undergraduate Year 2-4 (Mid-Term AUS)
- Singaporeans only
- Completed and achieved at least 2 semesters of graded results upon award of the scholarship
- Obtained a minimum term CAP/GPA and cum CAP/GPA of 4.5 in the latest academic term/year
- The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
- A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Eligible Nationalities: Scholarship is open to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship. Non-Singaporeans can apply for the Direct AUS scholarship (For applicants with ‘A’ Levels/ IB/ NUSHS Diploma/Polytechnic Diploma). However, applicants will be expected to take up Singapore Citizenship if their scholarship application is successful. Non-Singaporean males are required to serve National Service prior to the commencement of their undergraduate studies. Mid Term AUS scholarship (for applicants in undergraduate Year 2-4) is only open to Singaporeans.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: In order to be eligible to apply for AUS, applicants must have excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent and to apply for Mid-Term AUS, applicants must have obtained a minimum term CAP/GPA and cum CAP/GPA of 4.5 in the latest academic term/year.
English language Requirements: English is the official language for instruction in Singapore and proving competence in the language might be necessary.
Test Requirements: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is conducted by the University of Cambridge – Local Examination Syndicate. Used widely in over 110 countries, the exam is generally accepted by the Universities in Singapore as well. Singapore Universities also accept Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) which is conducted by Educational Testing Services (ETS), USA.
Supporting Material: Applicants can send in their applications as soon as they have received their prelim results or final transcript. If they are successful in their application, an in-principle offer will be made to them. Upon accepting the offer, university will hold the scholarship for them until they have completed their NS.
Scholarship Benefit: Successful candidates will be provided with financial support for the duration of their undergraduate studies covering:
- Tuition fees
- Hostel Fees
- Local sustenance allowance
- Research attachment opportunities at A*STAR Research Institutes (minimum of 8 weeks)
- One overseas exchange programme during the undergraduate studies (up to 6 months)
- Mid-term AUS awardees will be offered the same terms of support as the direct AUS scholars from the point of the award, without retrospective payment.
- Continuation of the AUS is subject to scholars maintaining good academic standing.
- All rates/allowances are subject to A*STAR adjustments from time to time
Application Procedure for A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship, Singapore 2016
Application Procedure: The mode of application is online.
Application Form Link
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is 31st March 2016. Application window will open at the end of the year (Nov/Dec) and close on 31 Mar of the following year for the Direct AUS scholarship. Application window opens throughout the year and closes on 31 May (for August intake) and 31 October (for January intake) for the Mid Term AUS scholarship.