Austria IIASA Science Communication Summer Fellowship 2018 is open for International Students . The scholarship allows Fellowship level programm(s) in the field of Communication Sciences taught at International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis . The deadline of the scholarship is .
Scholarship Description: Applications are now open for summer 2018 Science Communication Fellowship. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home at the beginning and end of the fellowship, and a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship. The aim of the fellowship is to provide financial help to students from developing countries.
About University: The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis is a scientific research institute located in Laxenburg, near Vienna, Austria. Founded in 1972, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) conducts policy-oriented research into problems of a global nature that are too large or too complex to be solved by a single country or academic discipline.
Degree Level: This is a summer fellowship programme. The fellowship begins on 28 May and ends on 31 August.
Study Subject: The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience, through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, and articles for our magazine, Options. The science communication fellow will work as part of the IIASA Communications Department, assisting with a variety of tasks including editorial work, website maintenance, media relations, event coverage, social media, and other communication activities.
Scholarship benefits: The stipend is Euro 4,000 for the three months. IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home at the beginning and end of the fellowship, and a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
Eligible nationalities: Applicants from all over the world are eligible . But applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply:
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Applicants from all countries are welcome. However, IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization. We encourage applications from developing countries.
- Experience writing about science for the general public, via blogs, newspapers, university websites, or other outlets
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia is a plus
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
Application Procedure: To apply, please email the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- One writing a sample of no more than 800 words, about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience. Examples: Article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, op-ed
- One letter of recommendation
Applications deadline: January 11, 2018