The Biozentrum Basel International PhD Program seeks to attract driven and enthusiastic young scientists worldwide to apply for its highly selective and prestigious fellowships. Rather than aiming for a large pool of applicants, the program awards fellowships competitively to a maximum of 10 candidates annually. Successful applicants benefit from a special rotation system that allows them to select a research group of their choice, as well as other perks that promote their scientific development and career prospects.
In 2006, the Biozentrum PhD Fellowships program was established with the support of the Werner Siemens-Foundation, which recognized the importance of an international excellence initiative. Following the foundation's initial financial backing, the University of Basel began funding the salaries of new fellows in 2010 to ensure the program's continuity, as it has proven to be a valuable opportunity for graduates and a valuable asset to the Biozentrum's international community.
Biozentrum PhD Fellowship Program 2023-24, University of Basel, Switzerland. is available to undertake PhD level programs at University of Basel.
Following subject are available to study under this scholarship program.
- Computational Biology
- Growth and Development
- Infection Biology
- Structural Biology
Unique rotation-based choice of lab
The fellowship is independent and not tied to a research group or project. Candidates accepting the fellowship must conduct research in at least 2 different labs (rotations) at the Biozentrum, before they decide on the research group for the PhD thesis (pending approval of the respective group leader). The duration of these rotations are at least 2 months each. The PhD thesis underlies the general rules and guidelines of the University of Basel and candidates will automatically be part of the International PhD Program of the Biozentrum. The fellowship is funded for 3 years and 3 months.
You are also offered a number of incentives to support your scientific and personal growth. Currently, the following benefits are provided (annual changes may apply):
- a personal, annual allowance to attend meetings, acquire books or a computer
- an annual study trip to a city with ties to Siemens
- scientific meetings and networking opportunities with current students and alumni of the Biozentrum PhD Fellowships Program
- support for the preparation of the personal CV and postdoctoral application by Biozentrum faculty members in the Program Committee
- financial support for travel to postdoctoral interviews at the end of the PhD thesis
This scholarship is open to international students of all nationalities.
You must hold or expect soon a university degree that qualifies you for a PhD program at the University of Basel (MSc and equivalent). In exceptional cases, outstanding students with a 4 year bachelor's degree, typically from outside the Bologna system, are also eligible to apply. These will be able to complete a Master’s program on a fast-track at the University of Basel as part of their fellowship.
In order to be eligible to receive the fellowship, candidates can neither be enrolled as a PhD student at the University of Basel nor have signed a PhD working contract at the University of Basel at the decision date of the respective fellowship call.
The Summer Call 2023 is now open. You can submit your application online. Your application must include:
- electronic copies of your diploma/MSc degree with grades and transcripts as pdf files
- CV or scientific résumé (maximum one page, pdf format)
- names and contact information of 2 referees from your previous academic environment (usually faculty members). The referees will be contacted automatically and will be asked for a reference letter.
You will get further information about the application procedure as soon as you have submitted your application.