DTIC-UPF (Barcelona) PhD Fellowships for International Students at Pompeu Fabra University in Spain, 2017-2018 is open for International Students . The scholarship allows Fellowship level programm(s) in the field of Information and Communication Technology taught at Pompeu Fabra University . The deadline of the scholarship is .
Pompeu Fabra University is pleased to offer DTIC-UPF (Barcelona) PhD fellowships for candidates with a strong interest in research for the year 2017. Candidates from any nationality are eligible to apply.
The UPF DTIC PhD program offers advanced training in a broad range of topics in the field of Information and Communication Technologies: (1) cognitive and intelligent systems, (2) audiovisual technologies, (3) networks and communications, and (4) computational biomedicine.
This is an innovative and unique program, which aims to provide a bridge between various disciplines in this field.
The Pompeu Fabra University was awarded in 2010 the distinction of International Excellence Campus by the Spanish Ministry of Education and it is widely considered to be one of the best universities in Spain (e.g. is the top Spanish university according to 2013 Times Higher Education Ranking).
Fellowships are available to pursue the doctoral programme.
The UPF DTIC PhD program offers advanced training in a broad range of topics in the field of Information and Communication Technologies:
- Cognitive and intelligent systems,
- Audiovisual technologies,
- Networks and communications, and
- Computational biomedicine.
- Students will pursue doctoral studies in one of the Research Areas of the department which include Cognition, Computation and Robotics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Theoretical Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Ubiquitous Computing, Information Retrieval and Data Mining, Cognitive Multimedia Technologies, Image Processing and Computer Vision, Image Processing for Enhanced Cinematography, Sound and Music Technology, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphics and Educational Technologies, Network Technologies and Strategies, Wireless Communications, Information Theory and Coding, Computational Neuroscience, Instrumentation and Biomedical Electronics, Computational Imaging and Computational Physiology, Analysis of Biomedical Data and Nonlinear Signal Analysis.
These fellowships are articulated as Predoctoral Research Contracts (PRC) (Spanish regulations) and offer the following wage conditions:
- Up to four years of the contract, yearly renewed.
- Fellows will be registered in the Spanish Social Security System, which provides health and occupational insurance coverage.
- The cost of the tuition fee in the doctoral program (except administrative fees) is also covered.
- First and second year: minimum gross monthly salary 987€.
- Third year: minimum gross salary 1.057€.
- Fourth year: minimum gross salary 1.308€.
The precise salary depends on the candidate’s background and the funded project the fellowship contributes to.
- Travel grants are available to cover publication at high-level scientific conferences.
There are 3 possible types of PRC:
Number of Scholarships:
- Teaching PRC includes a teaching assistance load of 60 hours per academic year.
- Teaching-Project PRC includes a teaching assistance load of 40 hours per academic year plus some tasks related to the funded project the PhD candidate joins.
- Project PRC includes tasks linked to the funded project the PhD candidate joins.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Candidates for PhD positions must have completed 300 ECTS credits, 60 of those have to correspond to an official graduate, research-oriented master’s programme.
- Candidates must have excellent academic qualifications and good command of English. Previous research experience and authorship of scientific publications will be a plus. Candidates from any nationality are eligible.
Candidates from any nationality are eligible to apply.
Candidates must apply to both the PhD program in ICT at UPF and the DTIC PhD fellowships (PRC). Please check our research
- Areas and potential supervisors beforehand at the site
- Admissions to the PhD program at UPF are handled by the UPF Admission Office. Please follow the procedure indicated here.
- For fellowship application, you need to fill the following application form.
Encourage early applications, although there are currently three application periods.
- 3rd PhD application period: March, 11 to April 28, 2017.
- Fourth PhD application period: April 29 to June, 2017.
- Fifth PhD application period: June, 2 to September 17, 2017.