Students of all disciplines can apply for a scholarship for an internship abroad outside the EU through the DAAD-funded PROMOS program.
Calls for applications are open twice a year (September/October and March/April). Applications are only accepted during the application period.
Who can apply?
- German students
- Students who are equivalent to German citizens as set out in Section 8 (1)(2ff) and Section 8 (2), (2a) and (3), BAföG
- Non-German students and graduates if they are enrolled at a German university with the goal of graduating at that university (stays in the student's home country are not permitted.)
Funding criteria for your internship abroad
- Programme countries: All countries excluding Iceland, Croatia, Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey and the EU member states.
- Duration of the internship: 6 weeks to 6 months
- Self-organized full-time internship closely related to studies
- Subject-related supervision from the student's home faculty during the internship
- Internships at the following organisations are excluded from funding through PROMOS: International organisations (e.g. UNO), EU institutions, institutions and organisations which administer EU programmes, the German embassy, German humanities institutes, Goethe Institutes, German archaelogical institutes and Deutsche Auslandsschulen (DAS).
- Internships at DSD and Fit schools can be funded by PROMOS. PROMOS can be combined with the Mobility Grant.
For further information about eligibility requirements and application please see the Guidelines (in German).
PROMOS scholarships will be awarded by a scholarship committee according to the PROMOS Guidelines (§ 3). The decision of the committee is final. There is no right of appeal.
- Application form
- Letter of motivation Please include: relevance for studies and career perspectives; reasons for choosing the company/institution; academic and professional benefit; reasons for choosing the target country; personal reasons (max. two pages; German or English)
- CV (German or English)
- Current transcript of records ("Notenbescheinigung", download in Stud.IP)
- Confirmation of host organisation
- Confirmation of school
- Enrolment certificate(s)
- Confirmation of voluntary work and/or non-university-related job (brief confirmation of duration and scope is sufficient)
- Proof of language skills in working language
Please submit your application in the form of a single pdf file to [email protected] (attn. Ms Ann-Kristin Schuling).