Forestry Paper 2001 is open for . The scholarship allows level programm(s) in the field of taught at . The deadline of the scholarship is .
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2001.
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks. Avoid writing irrelevant material for the sake of bulk. Organize your write-up.
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
1. Discuss problems of coniferous Forests of Pakistan. Also give suggestions for suitable management of these forests.
2. Describe the role of Northern Mountain Watershed region in alleviating the present water crisis in the country.
3. What do you know about Forest Mensuration? Describe various methods for calculating true volume of standing tree.
4. Write short essays on the following: (a) Thinnings (b) Game Sanctuary (c) Mangrove Forests of Pakistan and marine fauna. (d) Agro grazing
5. Explain single stem silvicultural system. Give suggestions for effective silvicultural management of Juniper forests.
6. What do you mean by scientific/commercial Range Management? Why has it not taken roots in Pakistan so far?
7. Discuss briefly how Forestry can be integrated with other agricultural and non-agricultural land uses in the country.
- Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(A) Fill in the blanks:
(B) Write only True or False in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
- Tree age can be estimated by counting _____________.
- Wood is largely made of cellulose and _____________.
- _____________ is made of thin veneers pasted over each other across the grains.
- Most important hurdle in popularizing Eucalyptus is absence of reliable and attractive _____________ for its logs.
- The only possible and practical break through in timber production in present day Pakistan appears to be _____________.
- We can highly increase browse production in Pothowar region by promoting the growth of one indigenous species such as _____________.
- In our salt affected former farm lands of Punjab and Sindh, we can easily plant following indigenous tree species _____________.
- Zigyphus species are undoubtedly over best _____________ shrubs.
- _____________ is our best furniture wood.
- Dominant tree species of Ziarat coniferous Forest is _____________.
(11) Basal area means cross section area of a tree bole at the height of 4’ – 6’ above ground.
(12) Tree volume of a bole is estimated by multiplying bole height in ft with basal area in ft2
(13) Abney’s level is an instrument used for measuring slopes.
(14) Carrying capacity of scrub forest range means volume of fire wood produced per hectare.
(15) Five sheep eat as much forage as 3 goats do.
(16) Contour line means a line of maximum slope on the ground surface.
(17) Watershed line means a line on ground which divides falling rain water into two opposing directions.
(18) Endangered species are those which are heading towards possible extinction.
(19) A thick high timber forest is an ideal habitat for goats, deer, cattle, leopards and lions.
(20) A rill refers to a micro stream which can be easily obliterated by ploughing.