The Asia Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) is a scholarship initiative managed by the Bai Xian Asia Institute (BXAI). The program aims to foster strong and enduring relationships between students and educational institutions in Asia by providing them with opportunities to develop cross-cultural understanding and leadership skills.
The AFLSP offers scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students in Asia to study in leading universities in the region. The program also includes professional enrichment activities, such as leadership training, internships, and mentorship opportunities.
One of the main objectives of the AFLSP is to promote mutual understanding and trust among young leaders in Asia, enabling them to work together towards common goals and address regional and global challenges. Through the AFLSP, students can build networks and connections that will last beyond their academic studies, and become part of a community of leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Overall, the AFLSP is an important initiative that supports the development of the next generation of leaders in Asia, providing them with the tools, knowledge, and experience they need to make a meaningful impact in their communities and beyond.
Monthly amount: Approximately 150,000 – 200,000 Japanese yen
An amount equivalent to 535,800 Japanese yen to cover tuition for one year and 282,000 Japanese yen to cover admission fees shall be paid separately.
* As the scholarship shall be paid in Japanese yen, the actual amount received may vary depending on the exchange rate, etc.
* The monthly stipend shall be paid into the recipient’s bank account in monthly installments.
* The payment to cover the tuition and admission fees shall be made as a reimbursement after Kyoto University confirms the payment of those fees through receipts.
* The scholarship shall not be paid until a confirmation of enrollment (invoice) has been submitted to the designated administration office each month. The scholarship shall be paid only to the recipient whose confirmation of enrollment (invoice) was submitted. As a rule, the scholarship shall not be paid if the recipient is absent from the university from the beginning until the end of the month, takes a leave of absence, or is absent for a significant period.
Citizenship of one of the following countries or regions, and prospective status of residence in Japan of “Student” at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other countries are not eligible).
China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thai, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, East Timor, Philippines, Bhutan, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Maldives, Mongolia, Laos
Only applicants who meet all of the following criteria shall be considered:
(1) Aligned with the mission and philosophy of BXAI and the purposes of the AFLSP, has strong personal integrity, has an interest in international and intercultural understanding and goodwill, is interested in addressing issues relevant to the Asian region, and has the potential to become a future leader who can contribute to good international relations and development in Asia and the world.
(2) Citizenship of one of the following countries or regions, and prospective status of residence in Japan of “Student” at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other country(ies) are not eligible).
: China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thai, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, East Timor, Philippines, Bhutan, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Maldives, Mongolia, Laos
< Kyoto University Special Slot >: Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thai, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, East Timor, Philippines, Bhutan, Brunei, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Maldives, Mongolia, Laos
(3) Under 35 years of age at the time of application.
(4) High proficiency in English (English proficiency at a level roughly equivalent to a TOEFL iBT score of 90 or more is preferred) and presentation skills.
(6) Expecting to enroll in a master’s degree program as a regular (degree-seeking) student at a graduate school of Kyoto University in October 2023 or April 2024, and remain enrolled at Kyoto University as a full-time student for the duration of participation in the AFLSP.
(7) Recommended by a supervising university professor or other person of equivalent status. [For more details, see: 7. Application documents (4)]
(8) Never previously received an AFLSP Scholarship.
(9) In need of financial support.
(10) In sound physical and mental health, with high moral standards, and an outstanding academic record. (11) Not be a recipient of any other scholarship or other form of funding support by a third party
(12) Not take up paid employment, full-time or part-time, while enrolled at the university and receiving
the benefit of the scholarship, unless granted permission
(13) Able to participate in programs and events for BXAI scholars held by BXAI or Kyoto University during the scholarship term.