Fully Funded PhD Scholarships at Scuola Normale Superiore in Italy, 2017-2018 is open for . The scholarship allows PhD level programm(s) in the field of Data Science taught at Scuola Normale Superiore . The deadline of the scholarship is .Scholarship Description:
Scuola Normale Superiore is inviting applications for up to 8 PhD Scholarship Positions for International Students to study in Italy. For the academic year 2017-2018 the scholarship is equal to 15,012.00 euros including a lodging allowance. In addition, full coverage of all research expenses (including visiting research periods, conferences, and summer schools).
Within this context, the PhD in Data Science is aimed at educating the new generation of researchers that combine their disciplinary competencies with those of a “data scientist”, able to exploit data and models for advancing knowledge in their own disciplines, or across diverse disciplines.
Since its foundation in 1810, the Scuola Normale Superiore has built a reputation as one of the most successful universities – not only in Italy but at an international level – in terms of offering to its student’s ideal conditions to train and develop skills in the field of scientific research.
Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Scholarships are awarded for a PhD course in “Data Science” at the Scuola Normale Superiore.
Amount of the scholarship:
Number of Scholarships:
- The scholarship for the PhD course in “Data Science” has the same amount of the other PhD scholarships provided by the SNS, according to with the article 9 of the Regulation for the PhD courses at SNS. The scholarship is paid in twelve deferred equal monthly instalments, subject to the fulfilment of students’ academic duties.
- For the academic year 2017-2018 the scholarship for the PhD course is equal to 15,012.00 euros including a lodging allowance. Students also have the right to free meals at the facilities of the SNS or at facilities with agreements with the SNS for the duration of the course, excluding the periods of academic holidays.
- Successful candidates can apply to utilize their lodging allowance at the SNS residences subject to availability.
- Students on the course can also carry out study and research activities outside the SNS sites; for activities that are formally authorised, they will be assigned additional funds for the purpose.
- Successful candidates who are citizens of countries not belonging to the European Union will be reimbursed for the travelling expenses incurred for the start of the course to a maximum of 1,000.00 euros and on presentation of original and fiscally valid expense receipts, including boarding passes. They can also present a justified request for an advance on the first installment of the scholarship grant.
- PhD students from countries not belonging to the European Union can request, within a year from the end of the course, reimbursement of expenses incurred for their return to their country of provenance, again up to a maximum of 1,000.00 euros and on presentation of original and fiscally valid expense receipts, including boarding passes. Those not completing the course because of forfeiture of the place can also apply for reimbursement providing at least a year has passed since the start of the course.
8 scholarships are available.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applications for admission are invited from candidates who, irrespective of their citizenship, have an Italian Laurea Magistrale (MA/MS degree) or an equivalent degree from outside Italy, or who expect to have obtained the degree required for admission by 31 October 2017: failure to obtain the degree by this date will disqualify the candidate for admission. Degrees from outside Italy will be checked, merely for the purposes of the selection process, by the selection committee, in accordance with the prevailing legislation in Italy and in the country where the degree was issued and with any international treaties or agreements for the recognition of degrees for the continuation of studies.
Admission to the call is restricted to candidates who:
- were born after 31 October 1987;
- have no past criminal charges against them resulting in a prison term of more than three years;
- have not been subject to the disciplinary measure of “expulsion” as specified in the didactic regulations of the SNS;
- are not in possession of a research doctorate issued by an Italian university, and in any case, have never benefitted from a scholarship to attend a research doctorate course in Italy.
Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
For the competition in Data Science, the interviews will be held from 19 September 2017. Applications for admission must be made online on the SNS website by 11:59 PM (CET) of 31 August 2017.
Candidates must enclose with their application the following documents in PDF format:
a) a valid copy of a document of identity (citizens of countries not belonging to the European Union should preferably enclose a copy of a valid passport, including the pages bearing a photograph, personal details, passport number and place and date of issue);
b) A curriculum vitae et studiorum in the Europass-CV format, available at the following web site: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions
c) their thesis for the Laurea Magistrale (MA/MS degree) or overseas equivalent, accompanied by an abstract in the English language; candidates who do not submit their laurea Magistrale certificate by the application deadline for admission must present an extended abstract in Italian or English (of not more than around 25,000 characters); the extended abstract is also compulsory when the thesis is printed in a language other than Italian or English;
d) a diploma supplement or equivalent document relating to achievement examinations completed and degree grade obtained; citizens of countries not belonging to the European Union and not resident in Italy must enclose a certificate attesting to possession of the degree, the date it was attained, the university that issued it and the final grade; candidates who have obtained an equivalent degree outside Italy in a country not belonging to the European Union must enclose a certificate of attainment of the degree translated into English if the original is in another language;
e) A copy of any publications;
f) The research project as described in article 1.10 of this call. Candidates must upload a different research proposal for each place they are applying for; candidates applying for the scholarships with a specific research topic, in accordance with article 1.5 of this call, can also add different research proposals for each place.
Applications for admission to the selection process must be registered online by 23:59 CET, Thursday, August 31, 2017.