The fellowship program is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. Up to 50 German Chancellor Fellowships are awarded at the moment.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s German Chancellor Fellowship Programme is targeted at university graduates from Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, India, the Russian Federation, South Africa, and the USA who have an international outlook and initial leadership experience. It addresses prospective decision-makers, multipliers, and thought leaders from a broad range of professional fields such as politics, public administration and business as well as society and culture. This fellowship program is intended to give them the opportunity to spend a year in Germany exploring new solutions to the global issues of our times and widening their networks. With this program, Germany once again presents itself as a destination of choice for intercultural dialogue and as a meeting place for the international leaders of tomorrow.
During their stay in Germany, the German Chancellor Fellows pursue self-developed, research-based projects that are societally relevant and have the potential for long-term, publicly visible impact. They are supervised by hosts in Germany whom they select themselves and who have the necessary level of expertise to mentor the respective topics. Their projects enable the fellows to advance their careers by expanding their specialist knowledge, gaining new international experience, and strengthening their intercultural skills in Germany in order to develop into successful international leaders.
German Chancellor Scholarships 2023 - Fellowships in Germany is available to undertake Fellowship level programs at Germany Universities.
Following subject are available to study under this scholarship program.
This fellowship for prospective leaders brings you to Germany for one year to implement a project idea you have developed yourself. We will help you network with international future leaders here to find new answers to the global issues of our time. We offer you
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros or 2,600 euros – depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship,
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for mobility, for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for additional German language courses
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society,
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organise smaller network formats with other fellows,
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Your host will have a monthly subsidy of €500 at their disposal for any costs arising while conducting the project.
Brazil, China, India, South Africa, USA.
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago. The key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October 2023.
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German
Before applying, you should discuss the details of your project with your chosen host.
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are
- project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents.
If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application. We are happy to help.Apply now