JSMC Doctoral Research Position, Germany is open for . The scholarship allows level programm(s) in the field of taught at . The deadline of the scholarship is .
JSMC Doctoral Research Position, Germany
The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites researchers from all over the world for a doctoral research position. International applicants are invited for the position to conduct research on the project Chemical communication between bacteria in iron-rich lake aggregates.The Jena School for Microbial Communication (JSMC) is funded by the German Excellence Initiative. JSMC is an ambitious Graduate School with over 150 doctoral researchers who are educated in a structured, interdisciplinary training program based on top-level fundamental research.The aim of this project is to elucidate the chemical interaction between fe-oxidizing and fe-reducing bacteria which dominate the microbial community of pelagic iron-rich aggregates (iron snow).Candidates should demonstrate adequate competence in the English language as it is the language of instruction at JSMC.
Degree Level: Position is open for pursuing doctoral research programme.
Subject Offered: Position is available to conduct research on the project Chemical communication between bacteria in iron-rich lake aggregates.
Participating Institution(s): The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’, Germany
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (e.g., Chemistry, Microbiology, Molceular Biology, Biochemistry). Candidates about to earn their degree are welcome to apply.
- desirable methodological skills: Analytical Chemistry, Gas-chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry, cultivation of bacterial cells, standard molecular biology tools, transcriptomics
- high motivation and interest to join one of the interdisciplinary research areas of JSMC
- creativity and interest to shape your own thesis project
- an integrative and cooperative personality with enthusiasm for actively participating in the lively JSMC Community
- very good communication skills in English (instruction language at JSMC)
- Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification and aptitude are given preferential consideration.
Eligible Nationalities: Researchers from all over the world can apply for the position.
College Admission Requirement:
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have – or be about to – obtain a master’s degree or equivalent (e.g., the German ‘Diploma’) in Natural Sciences or a related field. Students holding a Bachelor’s degree from a research-oriented institution can also be admitted to the program if they have shown outstanding performance (e.g. making a major contribution to a refereed publication).
English Language Requirement: Candidates should demonstrate adequate competence in the English language as it is the language of instruction at JSMC.
Scholarship Benefit: The university offers:
- a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top-level research facilities
- a doctoral researcher position (TV-L E13, 65%) with guaranteed funding for one and a half years based on the regulations of the German Research Foundation as well as generous research funding with the possibility of extended funding for one full additional year
- a comprehensive mentoring program with supervision by a team of advisors
- a top-level PhD training program with courses in state-of-the-art research technologies and soft skills
- Jena-City of Science: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University
Application Procedure for JSMC Doctoral Research Position, Germany
Application Procedure: The application procedure takes place exclusively online via the JSMC website.
Deadline: The closing date for application is February 21, 2016.