PhD Studentships in Astronomy at Stockholm University in Sweden, 2017 is open for International Students . The scholarship allows PhD level programm(s) in the field of taught at Stockholm University . The deadline of the scholarship is .Scholarship Description:
Applicants are invited to apply for PhD studentships sponsored by Stockholm University. International students are eligible to apply for these studentships.
These studentships are available for encouraging and motivating research students in the field of Astronomy.
Stockholm University was founded in 1878 with the ambition to reinvent higher education in Sweden. From the beginning, close contact with the wider world as well as the active exchange of knowledge and experience have been integral to this vision.
This position is available for pursuing PhD programme.
The department invites applications in the following research areas:
PhD student that is interested in computer simulations of the core-collapse supernovae central engine. Potential topics include explosion dynamics, neutrino interactions, neutrino transport, and black hole formation.
PhD students interested in investigating star formation from small to galactic scales with high-resolution imaging and IFU spectroscopy. Observational facilities include the Hubble Space Telescope and the Very Large Telescope.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- In order to meet the general entry requirements, the applicant must have completed a second-cycle degree, completed courses equivalent to at least 240 higher education credits, of which 60 credits must be in the second cycle, or have otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or elsewhere.
- In order to meet the specific entry requirements, the applicant for a studentship at a researcher level in astronomy must have completed 60 credits of non-overlapping courses in physics/astronomy at an advanced level. Of these, at least 30 credits should be in the form of independent work in astronomy, with a passing grade. The specific entry level requirements can also be fulfilled through having equivalent documented competence.
- Only a person who will be or has already been admitted to a third-cycle programme may be appointed to a doctoral studentship. The primary assessment criteria in appointing a doctoral student should be the capacity to benefit from the training.
Applicants from all around the world can apply for these positions.
Apply for the position at Stockholm University’s recruitment system by clicking the “Apply” button. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Please include the following information with your application
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2 references.
Important: Your academic referees should send us recommendation letters no later than August 15, 2017, via e-mail to [email protected] and state in the subject line SU FV-1808-17 + name of the applicant.
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter including a statement of interest (no more than 2 pages) describing:
- Which of the advertised projects you are primarily interested in
- Why you are interested in this project
- What makes you suitable for the project in question
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of degree projects/theses
- Degree certificates and grades confirming that you meet the general and specific entry requirements (no more than 6 files)
- Master thesis, or draft of the thesis, or other independent theses/essays (no more than 3 files).
The studentships application deadline is August 15, 2017.