A student who majors in medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a permit from the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws. Majors in traditional entertainment such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or in subjects that seek practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are excluded.
Scholarships are available for research degree level.
- Nationality: Applicant must have the nationality of a country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. This applies at such times to stateless persons, too. Applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application will not be eligible. Applicant screening will be made at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of Applicant’s nationality (except where two or more countries are attended by the same Japanese diplomatic mission).
- Age: Applicant must have been born on or after April 2,1981.
- Academic Background: Applicant must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a university graduate, if he/she
- has completed or will complete a 16-year school curriculum in a foreign country (or an 18-year school curriculum if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is founded on a 6-year department or faculty); or
- is or will be aged 22 or older and has taken an individual entrance qualification examination and has been judged by a graduate school as being equal or superior in academic ability to a university graduate (or 24 or older if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is founded on a 6-year department or faculty).
- Eligible applicants include those who otherwise satisfy or will satisfy qualification requirements for admission to a Japanese graduate school.
- As a general rule, a person who has completed a doctoral course may not apply unless he/she seeks to obtain a degree.
- Major Field of Study: Applicant should apply for the field of study he/she studied at the previous university or any related field. Applicant must choose a field on which he/she can receive education and perform research at the university of his/her choice.
- Japanese Language: Applicant must be willing to learn the Japanese language, interested in Japan and enthusiastic about deepening his/her understanding of Japan after arriving, and capable of engaging in study and research while adapting himself/herself to life in Japan.
- Health: Applicant must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue study at university.
- Allowance: Under the fiscal 2012 budget, each grantee will be provided monthly with 143,000 yen (Research Student course), 144,000 yen (students enrolled in a Master’s program or a professional degree program), or 145,000 yen (students enrolled in a doctoral program) (an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be provided to those undertaking study or research in specially designated regions). However, these amounts are subject to change depending on the annual budget of each year. The scholarship will not be paid to a grantee who takes a leave of absence or is long absent from his/her university.
- Scholarship will be cancelled for a grantee in the following cases. Furthermore, if scholarship payments were made during the period the following cases applied, the grantee may be ordered to return scholarship payments received during that period.
- If any of his/her application documents is found to be falsely stated;
- If he/she is in breach of his/her pledge made to the Minister of MONBUKAGAKUSHO(MEXT);
- If he/she is subjected to disciplinary action, such as expulsion or removal from register, taken by his/her university or the preparatory Japanese-teaching institution;
- If it becomes definitive that the grantee will not be able to complete his/her course within the standard course term because of his/her poor academic achievement or suspension;
- If his/her resident status of “College Student” as provided for in Paragraph 1-4 of Appendix to the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act changes to any other status;
- If he/she is provided with another scholarship (except for a scholarship designated for research expenses); or
- If he/she proceeds to a higher level of education without receiving approval for an extension of the term of the scholarship.
- Transportation to Japan: Each grantee will be provided, according to his/her itinerary and route as designated by MEXT, with an economy class air ticket from the international airport closest to his/her place of residence to Narita International Airport (or following the itinerary normally used by the university where the grantee is placed). Expenses such as inland transportation from his/her place of residence to the nearest international airport, airport tax, airport usage charges, special taxes on overseas travel and travel expenses within Japan will be borne by the grantee (the place of residence of the grantee shall in principle be the address stated in the application form). Air travel from a country other than the country of the grantee’s nationality will not be covered, nor travel to Japan before April 1, 2016. If the grantee comes to Japan to obtain admission to a university, he/she will not be provided with traveling cost to Japan.
- Transportation from Japan: The grantee who returns to his/her home country within the last-payment month of his/her scholarship will be provided, upon application, with an economy class air ticket for a flight from Narita International Airport (or following the itinerary normally used by the university where the grantee is placed) to the international airport closest to his/her place of return.
- Note: Insurance premiums for travel to/from Japan shall be borne by the grantee. The airport the grantee departs from or returns to must be an airport of the country of his/her nationality.
- School Fees: Fees for matriculation, tuition and entrance examinations at a university will be paid by the Japanese government. If the grantee moves on to higher education as a nonregular student or fails the entrance examinations, he/she will pay for entrance examinations.
The term of Research Scholarships by Japanese Government 2015 will differ check details.
Application Deadline: 15 May 2015
Applicant meeting the above criteria should visit the Official website of Embassy of Japan.
Share this Scholarship for others