Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
As the only specialized organization with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports ministries of education around the world and other key actors to plan and manage education systems through its programmes of training, technical assistance, policy research and knowledge sharing.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO IIEP, this position is located in the Corporate Services Unit in Paris, and reports to the Finance and Administrative Officer. The Information, Communications and Technology Officer ensures the continuity of IT services provided to users and anticipates changes. The incumbent gives strategic and technical support; recommends transformation projects of information technology systems, implements them in collaboration with other teams, and assumes the position of “business partner” to the different units. The ICT Officer has the following duties and responsibilities:
(a) Recommend IT strategy and coordination systems:
- Act as Focal Point on the Information Technology and Services Committee, in monitoring information technology and information systems and developing recommendations to Management to support the overall IT strategy of IIEP
- Lead the writing of the IT blueprint. Hold regular exchanges with Team Leaders and demonstrate a willingness to understand the dynamics and strategy of the Institute to provide a scalable and adapted approach
- Perform needs assessment for new IT applications and modifications to existing ones and makes sure related policies are followed
- Act as the guarantor of compliance with UNESCO IT standards. Through frequent contact with the IT unit (KMI) in UNESCO headquarters, the ICT Officer will provide access to the tools of the Organization.
- Develop, where appropriate, an outsourcing policy or call for service from external contractors.
(b) Manage the IT infrastructure in all three IIEP Offices located in Paris, Dakar and Buenos Aires. Services provided include:
- Assuring that all Offices have a properly sized and up to date IT infrastructure (Internet connections, networking, Wi-Fi, computers, storage and firewalls) to provide a secure and productive working environment for Staff.
- Ensuring good connectivity between all three Offices including site-to-site VPNs to allow seamless access to all internal IIEP and UNESCO HQ resources.
- Establishing and implementing baselines for computing equipment to give end-users a common experience across all Offices.
- Enhancing mobility and teleworking of all staff through individual VPN clients.
- Enhancing security of infrastructure and networks.
c) Provide Support and technical improvements:
- The incumbent is responsible for the smooth running of computer and telecommunications systems and ensuring users get maximum benefits from them.
- Planning in coordination with Division of Knowledge Management & Information Systems (KMI) at UNESCO headquarters, the roll-out of new functionalities, applications, services, systems upgrades and implementing IT infrastructure changes; installing systems, network components, hardware and software Implementing configuration management, updates, assuring stability, and resilience of all internal IT services.
- Monitoring and maintaining computer systems and networks.
- Assisting to set up systems and resolving issues.
- Troubleshooting system and network problems and diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults
- Providing support, including procedural documentation and relevant reports.
- Supervising the IT unit in the installation of systems and applications, and in providing technical support.
- Selecting the telecommunications and internet providers.
(d) Web site development and administration:
- Responsible for web related projects of the Institute, especially on e-learning and collaboration tools.
- Designing, installing and configuring websites and related applications. Defining test scenarios and coordinating all relevant levels of tests. This activity may involve development of modifications or extensions to the core applications.
- Being responsible for change management activities, including communication and data migration.
(e) Activities and budget of the IT unit:
- Manages the work of an ICT Associate Officer and IT Technical Assistant in Paris, and will be the second-level supervisor of any IT assistants in the other IIEP offices.
- Proposes the organizational and technical developments of the Unit, and business developments based on new technologies in coordination with KMI at UNESCO headquarters. The incumbent must be sensitive to the management of costs and not neglect the technical and functional qualities of the proposed solutions.
- Implements tools and processes for monitoring the operating costs of the computer systems, including telecommunications, and implements processes to optimize and simplify tasks.
- Proposes the unit’s operating budget and is responsible for its management. The ICT Officer is a Project Officer, and a technical expert, who undertakes cost analysis, studies return on investment, and is responsible for the cost-recovery plan.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Teamwork (C)Building partnerships (M)Leading and empowering others (M)Making quality decisions (M)Managing performance (M)Results focus (C)Strategic thinking (M)Driving and managing change (M)
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in social sciences, Information and Communication Technology or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of ICT, of which preferably 3 years acquired at international level.
- Experience in delivering training to end users and experience with e-learning platforms.
Skills and Competencies
- VMWare, Microsoft Active Directory, Windows Server, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office
- Advanced knowledge of Linux (CentOS), including high availability clusters
- Advanced knowledge of web technologies including Apache, proxy servers and PHP programming.
- Database systems (MariaDB and PostgreSQL)
- Management of backups (Arceserve UDP) and Antivirus (Symantec Endpoint Protection and Manager).
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking
- Knowledge of Palo Alto next generation firewalls and GlobalProtect VPN
- Knowledge of load balancing (KEMP technologies)
- Working knowledge of Ansible.
- Knowledge of documentation and wiki systems including dokuwiki and reStructured Text.
- Integity, including a commitment to respecting privacy rules and confidentiality of data systems and following IIEP leadership’s strategic direction
- Strong communication skills, including listening to others, and ability to collaborate across teams and adapt as needed.
- Openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Ability to keep abreast of available technologies.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong ability to manage priorities.
- Excellent knowledge of French or English and very good knowledge of the other.
Skills and Competencies
- Agile methodologies and ITIL.
- Moodle knowledge would be an added advantage.
- PHP development.
- Working knowledge of Spanish.
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a base salary and other benefits and entitlements which may include where applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information about UN salaries, benefits and entitlements, please consult this ICSC booklet
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that candidates must complete an on-line application and provide full and accurate information. No modifications can be made to the application once submitted. Evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria set in the Vacancy Announcement (VA). It may include tests and/or assessments as well as a virtual competency-based interview (CBI).
Only candidates who pass the selection process will be contacted and are subject to reference checks based on the information provided in their application.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-April-2021