Universität Hamburg supports its international students on their way to the successful completion of their degrees with degree completion grants.
Persons entitled to funding are students who:
· are enrolled at Universität Hamburg
· are not German citizens;
· are not eligible for BAföG (federal student loan scheme);
· are preparing for or are in the final examination phase of their studies;
· have no financial support during this phase (proof required).
International students studying fee-based degree programs are eligible for this grant in exceptional cases, but they will not have priority in the selection procedure.
Amount of funding / funding period
Degree completion grants are usually awarded for 6 months. The monthly amount of funding ranges between €200 and a maximum of €720. The individual funding amount is calculated according to the respective income.
If the final examination is not completed within the 6-month period, an extension may be requested. The maximum funding period is 12 months.
Students pursuing Diplom, Magister, or Staatsexamen degrees may apply for a 12-month grant with their first application.
The following groups are excluded from funding:
· international students who fulfill the requirements of Section 8 of the German federal training assistance act (Bundesgesetz über individuelle Förderung der Ausbildung, BAföG))
· doctoral researchers
We recommend you come to an individual advising session before you submit your online application. Applications can be submitted by the following deadlines:
1 June (for period of funding from 1 July–31 December)
1 December (for period of funding from 1 January–30 June)
If you have any further questions, please contact the program coordinators. There is no legal entitlement to funding. Good luck with your application!