Applications are due *before* Monday, October 31st, 2022. We encourage you to apply early. Please note that we will not begin reaching out to first-year students until December to schedule interviews.
Participation in the internship program requires that you are located and have legal authorization to work in Canada for the duration of the internship program.
Once you have gathered all of the required application materials (see below), click on the “Apply” button on this page to upload them in the appropriate sections (PDFs preferred):
1. In the “Resume Section:” attach an updated resume in English.
2. In the “Education Section:” attach a current or recent unofficial or official transcript in English.
- Under “Degree Status,” select “Now attending” to upload a transcript.
- Second-year students: be sure to include courses you are currently enrolled in.
- First-year students: since you will not have final grades, please provide a transcript or course list with the classes you are currently enrolled in.
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Waterloo, ON, Canada; Montreal, QC, Canada; Toronto, ON, Canada.
Remote location(s): Canada.
- First or second-year Bachelor's student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- Currently attending a university in Canada.
- First-year students have taken one college computer science course and second-year students have taken two college computer science courses (AP or IB included).
- Returning to a Bachelor's degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2023 internship.
- Must be able to complete a full-time, 12-week internship between May and August or June and September 2023 (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).
About the job
This application is intended for candidates in their first or second year of a Bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science located in Canada (with an anticipated graduation date of December 2024 - May 2026 depending on their program and unique circumstances). If you are in another region, please see g.co/jobs/step for relevant opportunities in that region. For students graduating in 2023 and 2024, please apply to the Software Engineering internship at g.co/jobs/devBSintern. If you are in a Masters program graduating between 2024 and 2026, please apply to this internship at g.co/jobs/devMSintern.
Students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry, including but not limited to women, people of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and LGBT members, are encouraged to apply.
Questions? Please visit our FAQ linked here: https://buildyourfuture.withgoogle.com/programs/step/
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program) is an internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science. Students must be available for a 12 week, full-time internship from May to August or June to September 2023. The program provides developmental opportunities for students from groups historically underrepresented in tech through technical training and professional development. Students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry, including but not limited to women, people of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and LGBT members, are encouraged to apply.
Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academics and practical professional experience.
Google is an engineering company at heart. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on users around the world. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, social to local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Complete a technical project where you’ll get to build solutions and get exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- Attend technical talks by executive Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set you up for success.
- Receive mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- Build networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share your passion for technology.