Famous for its warm hospitality and a welcoming atmosphere that feels like being part of a family, the westernmost point of Europe offers an ideal starting point for embarking on a study abroad adventure. If you're searching for a city that exudes authenticity, where time-honored history seamlessly blends with cultural diversions and cutting-edge innovations, then look no further than Lisbon. This captivating city boasts sun-drenched days, delectable cuisine, and a secure environment, making it the ultimate cherry on top of your academic journey.
During your semester spent steeped in Portuguese culture through CIEE Lisbon, you'll have the privilege of learning under the guidance of top-notch professors. You can choose from a range of courses offered in either English or Portuguese, delivered by CIEE Lisbon and its esteemed partner institutions: FCSH-UNL (Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas - Universidade Nova de Lisboa) and ISCTE-IUL (Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e de Empresas-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa). These courses go hand in hand with immersive co-curricular activities and excursions, thoughtfully organized by CIEE, extending beyond the city's limits to enrich your classroom experience and foster a deeper cross-cultural insight.
The western tip of Europe is steeped in ancient history, creating a rich base to launch your study of the Portuguese language and culture. Spend the semester immersed in Portuguese culture at CIEE Lisbon while taking courses in English or Portuguese at CIEE and CIEE’s partner schools, NOVA FCSH (Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas - Universidade Nova de Lisboa) and ISCTE-IUL (Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e de Empresas-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa). All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Lisbon.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit stunning medieval walled towns such as Óbidos and Sintra.
- Explore the beautiful coast and wonderful cuisine of Setúbal, a town south of Lisbon.
- Take a tour of Évora, a historical center surrounded by 16th-century walls, and see its Romanesque cathedral and gilded Baroque altarpieces.
- Get involved in campus life by joining a student association or sports team.
- Take advantage of Lisbon's vibrant theater, historic opera house, concert venues, galleries, and dynamic cinemathèque.
- Connect with local organizations in need of support and gain practical skills by volunteering your time.
- Connect with Lisbon Buddies, students from FCSH, to learn about local culture, student life, and Portuguese.
- Meet local students who will be your CIEE Buddies during your semester abroad. Participate in weekly conversation groups organized by the local buddies to deepen your learning of the language and culture.
- Volunteer in local organizations to gain practical skills and give back to the community.
- Take a semester academic internship class to gain experience in areas such as art, communications, or entrepreneurship. Students applying for an internship are required to submit additional materials during the course selection process.
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
- MSI Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program app