Alaska allows CPA candidates to sit for the exam before they graduate, specifically, within 18 credit hours of graduation.
They also allow non-accounting degree holders to sit for the exam (provided they have 1 year of public accounting experience), but you will need 150 credit hours and 2 years of relevant experience in order to get a license.
Alaska CPA Exam Requirements
1. Education Requirements To Sit For The Exam:
- Bachelor degree or above
- Fulfill any one of the condition below:
- Degree in Accounting: at least 15 credit hours of accounting courses;
- Degree with concentration in Accounting: 24 credit hours of accounting, 3 hours of business law, 3 hours of economics and 3 hours of math/statistics/computer science;
- Degree-in-progress in Accounting: 15 semester units in accounting and 18 or less credit hours remaining before graduation; or
- Non-Accounting Degree (with <15 credit hour of accounting courses): 1 year of public accounting experience
Note: may sit for the exam before they graduate, specifically, within 18 credit hours of graduation
2. Additional Requirements To Get CPA License:
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or institution
- 2 years of relevant experience deemed appropriate by the Board
- I emailed Alaska State Board for further clarification on the above but they did not provide me a specific answer. I believe you will need to shown your own experience and ask if this could be deemed qualified.
- Passing of the CPA Ethics Exam administered by the AICPA.
3. Residency & Age Requirements:
- US citizenship not required
- Alaska residency not required
- Minimum age: none
- SSN is generally required but for those who don’t (e.g. because you don’t live in the US) you can fill out this waiver form
- First-timers: $723 (4 CPA exam fees) + $150 (initial application fee)
5. Continuing Education Requirement
CPE is required for license holders.
Alaska State Board of Public Accountancy
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 907-465-3811
- Fax: 907-465-2974